We are a few weeks into the New Year and now that things have calmed down a bit, have you thought about your digital marketing plan for 2016?
Do you even have one? If you don’t, don’t worry, you’re not alone. According to Smart Insights, nearly 50% of businesses don’t have digital marketing plans!
That statistic might shock you, especially considering the digital age that we live in. Everyone is online, social media is part of our daily lives, new websites pop-up by the second- how can businesses not have a defined, solid digital marketing plan?
Most likely it is because businesses are not sure how to create one- but it is not as scary as it seems. Here are 5 tips to create your digital marketing strategy for 2016 and get your business growing!
1. Assess & Plan
What are you hoping to achieve with your marketing efforts? Who are you trying to reach? Who is your ideal customer? (Learn more about buyer personas here). Where is your company or brand now? What do you need to do in order to reach your new goal?
Set SMART goals: (Get your free template from Hubspot here)
- Specific- do you want more visits to your website, leads or customers? Define what you are reaching for
- Measurable- provide a number so you can track your progress
- Attainable- make sure your goal is realistic; work towards something that is challenging, but possible
- Relevant- make sure this relates back to growing your business
- Time-bound- include a time-frame to achieve your goal(s)
2. Create & Launch
After you have evaluated your current position and where you would like to go, it’s time to formulate your message.
- What do I want to share with my audience?
- Why would they care about this?
- Will they find this information useful?
- How will this attract new leads & customers?
It is so important to create content that your customers will find relevant and helpful. Remember: Content is King. When most people begin searches online, it is usually because they have a problem they need an answer to. How will you answer their question?
3. Choose the right channels
It is very important to consider your audience and it’s different components: age, geographic location, lifestyle, etc. As your target customer base varies, technologies and social networks you utilize to reach them will vary, too.
- What social media platforms do they engage on?
- How do they go about looking for your product or service?
- What will make you stand out from your competitors?
Once you figure out the answers to these questions, you will know how to reach and attract your potential customers.
4. Engage & Cultivate
Whichever platforms you choose, be sure to engage with your audience- offer helpful advice, tips and be real. Customers love to see the “human” side of businesses.
- Be consistent
- Grow the relationships you create- be social!
5. Measure, Evaluate & Repeat
Be sure to analyze your efforts often to see if they are working and ensure your results are aligned with your SMART goals. Tweak things as necessary to see what is working and what isn’t. Repeat!
And there you have it. It’s not that scary, right?
Want to get your marketing efforts organized and summarized so you know what direction you’re heading in 2016?
Get our 2016 Digital Marketing Checklist Now!