Having been in the digital marketing world for 10 years, I can’t begin to count the number of tools I’ve explored which are designed to analyze a website and make recommendations for improvements.
But of all the tools I’ve seen, the free one from Google is my favorite – Google Webmaster Tools (GWT).
There are so many things GWT does that we could do a whole series on this, but I want to focus in on one key area called search analytics as this is the place where you can see in black and white what Google really thinks of your site.
Secrets of Search Analytics
So, you think your site is optimized for a particular phrase really well?
Maybe, maybe not.
But if you really want to find out what Google thinks about your site, this little dashboard will tell you.
What does Search Analytics show you?
- The phrases users typed which triggered your site to show up somewhere in search rankings
- How many times those phrases were typed in
- Where you ranked for those phrases in search
- The # of clicks you received for each phrase
Here’s an example from one of the websites we monitor (www.joiroofing.com).. Based on this report you can tell Google likes showing their site for commercial roofing type phrases, and you’d hope they are in the roofing business based on this report:.
There’s really no better way to find out what search phrases Google is showing your site for and how often than this simple and easy to read report.
Based on this data, you can also draw some actionable conclusions such as:
- Identifying pages which are being shown more often so you can review those and make improvements to those pages so they are even better
- Identify poor or low performing pages to see how they can be improved
- Identify popular content which may be good for blogs, case studies or other new content
So if you really want to find out what Google thinks your site is about and where it shows up, setup a free Google Webmaster Tools account and hop on over to the search analytics area. You’ll be glad you did.
Of course, if you’d rather work on your business you can always let us handle it for you and review the data 🙂